How do you take care of a baby turtle?

Post a Comment



anonymous


How do I take care of a baby turtle? I need to know EVERYTHING, I want my baby turtles to be happy. What and how do I feed them? What are all the requirements for the tank?
How do I clean their shells? How high does the water need to be? Do they need lamps? So many questions I know, but I need to know these things
So, I already have a 20 gallon tank sitting in my garage. Do baby turtles need filters and heaters? and if they need a filter, what kind? Please help me!
I actually didn't check what kind of turtles they are. Their either box turtles, red-eared slider turtles, or snapping turtles.



Answer
My friend also has Baby Turtles (She's got 5) and she told me how to take care of them.

Feeding Baby Turtles:

Turtle foods come in a variety of shapes, sizes, and ingredients. Some even walk and hop by themselves. There are flake and small pellet foods sold just for baby turtles and these are good for starting baby water turtles. Turtle sticks are the most common turtle foods on the market and are good for feeding all turtles including baby land turtles like box turtles. Larger floating pellets are sold for water turtles and are good for all turtles including babies. Dried whole shrimp and dried bugs are sold and are of questionable value; we don't use them. There are pellets sold for box turtles which smell like apples and really do smell good. However, we have yet to have any of our turtles eat them. There are shrimp pellets (gammarus) intended to be used for a treat or supplement and are not sufficient as a main diet food.

The processed whole foods in flake, stick, and pellet forms all have the necessary vitamins and nutrients turtles need. Vitamins are absolutely critical to good health. When the dime store baby turtles (red-eared sliders) were common when I was a boy, dried ant eggs were the common food sold for turtles. In fact ant eggs were the only food I remember ever seeing. They ate them and most died because they never received the vitamins and nutrients they needed. That is why we do not use dried shrimp and dried bugs.

Turtle foods are available at pet stores; however, this food should not be your turtle's only source of nutrition. You should complete the baby turtle's diet by providing him with some greens, earthworms, small fish, and fruit. You might notice that your pet has a preference for certain foods, so pay attention to uneaten foods left over after feedings. Feed your pet two or three times daily.


How to raise Baby Turtles (Housing):

You can't just put a turtle in a fish tank and call it a day. Turtles require specific housing amenities to thrive. If you properly care for your little guy, he could survive for decades, so make sure that you provide your turtle with a comfortable and healthy home. If your pet doesn't receive the proper care, it could become ill, experience shell deformations, or die. In fact, the death rate for turtles is extremely high - partly due to the fact that people buy turtles without researching their proper care. Your turtle should not be allowed out of its cage or enclosure because of the bacteria that it could threaten your home with if it was allowed to roam free (plus, your turtle will only be a few inches long as a baby - although it could grow to be about a foot - so you want to make sure that it doesn't get lost or stepped on)! An aquarium will work fine. You should fill the cage with water so that the water level is taller than your turtle is wide. Use smooth rocks to create a "land" area in the aquarium as well. Your turtle should have equal land and water area in its home, or at least one-third basking area to two-thirds swimming space. Also, it is important that the air and the water are heated at about eighty-five degrees so that your turtle is not too cold to swim, and it can bask in warmth. Basking lights are available at most pet stores. As your turtle grows, so should your turtle's home. You want to provide your pet with the best possible quality of life, and since it will spend its whole life in its home, it should be your goal to make that home a very happy place!


Hope I helped! :) Good luck withe Baby Turtles!

Types of baby turtles and care?




Nope.


I want an aquatic baby turtle that also likes to walk like on land and hard surfaces and is ok with being handled. Any suggestions for a baby turtle that fits the bill? And how would I care for it?


Answer
Remember they do not stay babies!! As with any living animal. But I suggest musk turtles.

They are the smallest common type of turtle in the pet trade and easy to look after.
You will need:

A 100L tank
Water heater
Ultraviolet light bulb
Basking bulb
Turtle dock
Filter
Turtle food
Decoration

(I do not suggest gravel or any substrate) Wood and fake plants are good.
They need regular water changes every 3-5 days as turtles are MESSY. They need a dock for land and a good swimming space. You feed babies a lot more than adults. You only feed adults a few times a week. They are expensive to set up and can be to run. They need a decent amount of care and can live many years. It's a long term commitment you need to be sure about.

Real care baby speaker not working?







I am taking care of the real care baby for a class. It cried all evening yesterday and I took care of it, the project was pretty much what I expected. But, last night the baby didn't cry until 3 am. I woke up and picked it up. The cry sounded really distant, and it kept getting quieter and quieter. Today its only cried like twice, and both times it like immediately stops before I even take care of it. Whats wrong with its speaker??


Answer
The Real Care Baby's have 3 distinct types of cries.
1. Diaper Change
2. Bottle
3. Rocked/Burped

It could be that you have never heard the baby's other cries before. Also the baby does not cry at the same time everyday. It is on a random schedule. Just like a real baby does not cry at, say, 3 o'clock every Sunday. The reason it stopped before you picked it up, was probably because it self soothed. And realized it didn't really want the attention or got over its problem, or fell asleep. Listen for the baby to breathe when it is not crying. Like right after you rock it. It will make little 'huh' sounds. This is a good sign that the speaker is not broken.
The speaker could still be broken, but then again I am not there to evaluate the baby simulator myself. So I hope this information helped. :)

baby duck care?

Q. i have a baby duck coming in a few days, but i can't seem to find anywhere that sells starter feed. i'll have access to some, but it might be up to two days after he arrives. someone on this site told me that she fed her baby duck oats for a few days. is that ok? i have plenty of that. one more thing. i have a cockatiel. i'm going to quarantine the duck for a while, but after that would they get along ok or should i just keep them separate? my cockatiel is definetely the nicest cockatiel you'll ever meet and a fantastic flyer, but he's always very curious. he gets along very well with the dog so i'm wondering how he and a duck would fair. i'm not really up for experimentation so if anyone here has any advice i'd really appreciate it! thanks!
he's supposed to be here tuesday. i'm still looking for food, but if i can't find any by then i have a friend who has some i can use, but she doesn't get back from vacation until thursday or friday!


Answer
well for the baby duck care if you are near a tractor supply store or a global ag they have tons of things for all types of animals including baby ducks. my dad gets food here for my ducks & ducklings and chickens & chicks. they have tons of choices and im sure you would be very pleased with what they have there! you should go and check it out.

i think that the cockatiel would be fine with the duck. of course im not 100% sure so you might want to listen to someone else on this one question but ducks are very mild and i think they would be good together. you might also want to consider how the duck would be with the dog.

i hope this helps you somewhat!! good luck w/ the baby ducks!

hamster baby care. Help?




Erin Smith


If I see my mom hamster start eating her babies do I take the others out? And what would I do with them? Would I feed them myself? Or give them to another mom hamster?


Answer
If the babies are very young (less than 2 weeks old) then they NEED a mothers attention in order to survive, you will not be able to feed them and take care of them. If they are older than 2 weeks, then there is a chance you can help them survive. Hamsters do not need a mothers attention as long as other animals do. There is a chance that you can give young babies to another mother to take care of them, but she might also attack the babies.

There may be something wrong with the babies and the mothers instincts are telling her to get rid of the baby. Also, she may have had too many babies that she cannot take care of herself. One of my hamsters had 8 babies at one time and I noticed that 3 had gone missing. The remaining 5 she had were very strong and healthy hamsters. Sometimes an animals instincts are more correct than anything else.

Good luck :)

question about Well Baby Care and health insurance...?




noodles


I'm looking at individual health insurance plans for myself. I'm not pregnant yet, just looking at insurance in case my husband and I do decide to have a baby. I'm wondering if anyone knows, on the health insurance plan for myself (it's a lifewise plan in Washington, if that matters) it says that Well Baby Care is just a 20% co-insurance pay (no deductible)... so does that mean if I had a baby I would pay 20% of the visit even if only I was insured? or does that imply I would by a separate insurance plan for my baby for him/her to be covered with the Well Baby Care?


Answer
The baby would have to be covered by the plan, either with you or with a separate policy. If you have the policy the baby is not automatically added to your policy, you'll need to contact Lifewise to get the newborn added.

You should also look at other plans. Some plans will have better coverage for the baby. If you contact an agent that works with all the major plans in your area they'll be able to guide you on the best plan for your situation and budget. There is no extra charge using an agent.

baby corn snake care?




Tyler S


A.i am planning on getting a baby corn snake on monday.
the snake is gonna be between $40-$70(depending on what it looks like)
and im going to get a "kit" with a tank and all the equipment to care for the snake for $100, does that sound like a good deal?
B.what should i expect once i get the snake home?
C. is it okay for me to handle the snake the first day?
D. can you give me a "daily maintenance schedule?"
E. what should i feed him and how often?
sorry for all the questions, i just wanna be prepared!



Answer
A.
Q:i am planning on getting a baby corn snake on monday.
the snake is gonna be between $40-$70(depending on what it looks like)
and im going to get a "kit" with a tank and all the equipment to care for the snake for $100, does that sound like a good deal?
A:Sounds like a pretty good deal, you might need to expand the tank but other than that, its good.

B.
Q:what should i expect once i get the snake home?
A:You should leave him be in his enclosure since its a new enviroment.

C.
Q. is it okay for me to handle the snake the first day?
A. Its okay but can stress the snake out. I highly suggest against it.

D.
Q:can you give me a "daily maintenance schedule?"
A. Spot clean the tank daily. Disinfect everything at least once per month using a 5% bleach solution.

E.
Q.what should i feed him and how often?
A. Rodents, small mice (pinkies if baby) depending on the size of your snake.

Care Sheets:
http://www.repticzone.com/caresheets/926.html
http://www.cornsnakes.net/care.php3

Bi-Racial Babys Hair Care?




Melissa83


Bi-Racial Babys Hair Care???
Half Black and half White baby on the way. Which products should I use and which should I avoid? I know alcohol containing products are a no no. Pink lotion is on the top of my list so far. I dont do hair in any way, a pony tail is too complicated for me lol. I need some info on the following!

Washing products and frequency.
Maintenance products and frequency.
Styling products (eventually needed).

Thanks!



Answer
I'm a biracial mama of a biracial baby, and this is one of my favorite topics.

Is pink lotion on the top of your "yes" list or your "no" list? Hopefully it's on the top of your "no" list. It's full of mineral oil, which is a cheap petroleum by-product that is actually quite drying to the hair (not to mention slightly toxic). It's what I grew up with, but fortunately, there have been some wonderful advances in biracial hair care.

When your baby is a newborn, I wouldn't use anything but California Baby head to toe wash. It's all natural and un-fragranced. When he or she has longer hair, and it starts to get tangles (this happened to my baby at about 7 months) California baby has a nice conditioner that you can use to gently work the tangles out, and use a little for a leave-in conditioner.

Your baby could have any number of textures to his or her hair, from kinky to curly to wavy to straight, but when he or she is older and needs a little help with the curl taming, there are (finally!) some gentle, natural products that work great for curly hair. I wish these existed when I was a child.

Here are just a few (all-natural products specifically for biracial babies), I haven't used any except the "It's a Curl," which I found a little strongly fragranced for my liking.

Congrats on your baby.

http://www.curls.biz/curly-hair-products/baby-curly-hair-products.html
ttp://www.blendedbeauty.com/
http://www.carolsdaughter.com/portal.aspx?CN=66D76D5C38B5
http://kinky-curly.com/shop.php (see the kids section - but note the shampoo isn't "tear-free")

EDIT: you can find California Baby almost anywhere - I buy mine at Target, but here's a link to their shampoo on Amazon. There are rave reviews, as you can see.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=california+baby&x=0&y=0#%2Fref%3Dnb_sb_ss_i_0_31%3Furl%3Dsearch-alias%253Daps%26field-keywords%3Dcalifornia%2Bbaby%2Bsuper%2Bsensitive%26sprefix%3Dcalifornia%2Bbaby%2Bsuper%2Bsensitive%26rh%3Di%253Aaps%252Ck%253Acalifornia%2Bbaby%2Bsuper%2Bsensitive&enc=1

Should I put my baby in foster care?




TI vicious


I am 20 years old and i just found out im pregnant. The condom ripped. Anyways, I am a 3 wks pregnant and I work in a retail store getting paid 9/hr and hes a security getting paid 11/hr. I know its not enough and studios in cali are like 750-1000 a month. I know for sure I cannot do this and I dont think im ready. i dont want to abort it because I will feel really guilty afterwards. I was thinking of giving the baby to foster care meanwhile i go to court reporting and finish it and when I'm ready I will take it back. Can I do that? or how does it work. I dont want to give my baby a bad life. somebody please help me.


Answer
First of all let me just say that there is a big difference in not being ready physically/emotionally/mentally to have a baby and not being financially ready to have a baby.

Is it possible for you and your boyfriend to move away from the expense of California to raise your baby? If finances are the only thing stopping you from keeping your baby then you should keep it. Being broke is temporary, giving your baby to the government or another couple is permanent. Babies are born attached to their mothers and they need them. You can't just give your child to foster care and get it back when you are ready. It doesn't work that way and it's best for the baby to stay with you. Do you have family that can help you? Otherwise I really would suggest moving somewhere where the cost of living is cheaper. In Tennessee minimum wage is just $6.55 but you can get a decent apartment for $300 a month. If you can't do that perhaps the government can help support you with your baby. You can collect welfare, WIC, food stamps etc. It's not ideal maybe but it might give you a hand up in supporting your baby. My best advise is to buy all the baby's clothes from yard sales because the baby will outgrow its clothing so quickly. You can get your baby outfits for .25 cents and it's very cost effective especially with the economy the way it is. You don't necessarily have to have a crib and changing table etc right away. Women in the past have done without. A basket with a pillow in it would do just fine until the baby is able to roll over. I really hope that you are blessed with these items. If your body is capable of giving life it is also capable of sustaining life. Your breasts will produce milk with antibodies and the nutrients your baby needs. Some women aren't able to breastfeed but if you decide to it will save you hundreds and hundreds in formula.

I validate your feelings. Having a baby is scary whether you are 20 or 40 and all women question their ability to raise a child. I can tell that you want this baby and perhaps you feel hopeless. Giving your child up for adoption could be the worst decision of your life. It's easy for people to come on here and say, "Just think of the baby and give it up for adoption, it's the best thing for both of you." But many of them have never been in your situation. You are only 3 weeks pregnant now but you have a long way to go and soon you will be very attached to the little one in your womb. Perhaps this attachment will give you strength to fight for him/her to stay with his biological parents or perhaps it will give you strength to give your baby to a family that can give him/her a better life. Only you know what is best. You are the mother. If you are positive you want to give your child up permanently then you can go the adoption route. Please e-mail me if you need to talk about this more as you really need support from someone. A lot of people on YA! desperately want a baby and would go as far as telling you that you aren't capable and offer to adopt your child. Be careful!

I work at a crisis pregnancy center and work with women just like you. Sometimes you just need to hear from someone that you CAN do it and I am here to support you if you need me. God bless you hun! You're gonna need a lot of help if you decide to raise your baby. It's going to be hard work but very rewarding. Please add me on messenger or e-mail me

Help with baby gerbil care ?




Popcorngir


I was told my gerbils were both male, a couple months later i realized that one was female. Soon enough they had there babies. They are 11 days old now and since they had there babies at my friends house and this is my first time with gerbils, im not sure what to do! Can we pick them up? Can we play with the adults? Can the wheel be on the ground? What if the baby can't find his way back to the nest?!?!? How does this work? Please help me! I need tips and pointers. Thank you!


Answer
I would remove the wheel, hut and don't give large things to chew. Large items can crush or suffocate the babies and you don't want anything to distract the mother and father from taking care of the babies. Occasionally give a small toilet paper tube for the parents to chew, but that's it.

Technically you can handle the babies - some breeders do. Wash your hands first if you do. However - personally I would wait to handle the babies. Some gerbil mothers wouldn't care, but some would.

I would continue talking to the parents and babies and putting your hand in the tank to keep them accustomed to your voice and scent but not try to handle the babies or take the parents out just yet. Also, do not clean or rearrange the tank until the babies are at least a few weeks old.

The mother should retrieve any lost gerbil babies. If you notice that a baby is lost and the mother isn't retrieving it, you can try returning it to it's nest.

Also, it's very likely if you kept the mother and father together on the day/night of the birth you have another litter of babies coming. Gerbils mate again on the night of the birth. Next time if you wish to avoid this, separate the mother and father for 24 hours after the birth (no more or the mother will forget the father and fight him to protect her babies) then return the father to the tank to help care for the babies.

Posted a few links below - the AGS links have a lot of info about gerbils, and a lot of good info about breeding gerbils including the environment, when/how to handle, etc.



Powered By Y! Answer Blogger Poster

Related Posts

Post a Comment